THESIS WRITING AND SUPERVISION
In order to assist students in their thesis writing, particularly with regards to the substance of the writing, a thesis supervisor will be assigned individually for each student, taking into account the lecturer’s competence on the thesis topic. Thesis supervisor will be selected by the Head of Study Program from permanent lecturers at the Faculty of Law Universitas Gadjah Mada.
Students who wish to undertake thesis writing in a semester must first ensure that they must input thesis writing in their Study Plan for the semester. As regards the submission of thesis topic, students must follow the following procedures:
- students firstly verify to the academic support staff whether they are eligible to undertake thesis writing. If so, students will receive a form in which they can propose a thesis topic;
- after filling the given form, students should submit such form to the Head of Study Program. Having read the submitted thesis topic and consult the Head of Departments within the Faculty of Law Universitas Gadjah Mada, the Head of Study Program will appoint a thesis supervisor for the requesting student;
- having been appointed a thesis supervisor, students see their thesis supervisor and deliver their intention to write a thesis under the supervision of the lecturer. At this stage, the supervisor is authorized to make adjustments to the proposed topic, if necessary;
- having been approved a thesis topic by their assigned supervisors, students record their thesis topic and research questions into a register book available at the administrative office of the Study Program.
Meanwhile, thesis supervision is conducted in accordance with the following rules and procedures:
- thesis supervision will commence as soon as students submit their Research Proposal. Students should consult their assigned supervisors when writing such proposal;
- within two months, with an allowable delay of one month, after approval of thesis topic, students should have obtained approval of Research Proposal by their assigned supervisors;
- having approved a Research Proposal, students should apply for a proposal seminar, the manner and schedule of which will be determined by the Head of Study Program;
- having received suggestions and remarks in the seminar, students proceed with their research and thesis writing;
- thesis supervision is conducted in accordance with the manner agreed by the students and their supervisors, taking into account norms and ethics that are generally accepted;
- within six months, and an allowable delay of two months, after the approval of Research Proposal, students must have been prepared with a draft thesis and defense;
- students are allowed to receive advice and supervision from their assigned supervisors only if they have input thesis writing in their Study Plan for the semester.
When a draft thesis is final, students will have to conduct defense, in accordance with the following rules and procedures:
- students are allowed to apply for thesis defense only if they have input thesis writing in their Study Plan for the semester, and if they have recorded a GPA of not less than 2.86 (two point eight six) on a 4.00 scale;
- when applying for a thesis defense, students must enclose three copies of final draft of thesis, along with four copies of publication manuscripts;
- thesis defense is held by a panel of examiners, comprising of one lecturer being the Chief Examiner, and two lecturers as Member Examiners;
- prior to defense, students must prepare a presentation (preferably, MS Powerpoint slides), and dress with proper attire.